Monday, December 12, 2011

Becca's Christmas Cards

Becca's? Christmas Cards A True Blessing For Me
Renae Brabham


I have been sorrowed this morning that I could not remember two things about this story that I thought were important. However, God has chosen not to re-reveal them to my memory and his way is better than mine. I had this true story saved on a computer that crashed recently. The information was not retrievable on it either. Go figure.

Christmas Season 2008. This year had been the worst year for our business economically since we started. I was cutting corners every way that I knew how. If it wasn't absolutely necessary, it wasn't coming into the house. It was a Saturday morning. Crisp and cool, a perfect day to pull out those holiday scarves and sweaters. It was a grocery shopping and errand day. I knew that the list I had in front of me didn't call for any celebratory clothing. Just the basics here. Except for the Christmas Cards. I normally buy these at Wal Mart or Sams anyway, but I enjoy looking for the right cards. Well, I knew the good cards were going to be over my budget, even at Wal Mart this year. But, I was still going to find something to send out and that was all that mattered.

I was held up it seemed all morning. A delay in walking out the door everywhere I turned. I was to the point of almost deciding to do this another day. I finally made it into car with my list. I was enjoying the ride. Christmas music playing, I was singing along. I drove right past Wal Mart,hmmmm. A thought popped into my head. Let's go to Hallmark and get our Christmas cards. Where in the world did that come from I thought. Drove past Sam's Club too,hmmmm. Another thought, well it won't hurt to look at the pretty cards. Pulled up to Hallmark's. I go into the store that is filled with women in Christmas sweaters and hats and scarves, Christmas music playing. Well this is festive, I thought. The boxed card aisle is full of people and cards. I am looking at the cards and flipping them over to gasp at the prices. Putting them back on the shelf with a nod of indifference that I hoped was telling others that it wasn't the price, but the wrong verse that made me put it back.

I noticed a lady at the end of the aisle fumbling with one hand to turn over a box and look at the verse. Others were standing by her and she continued box after box. I had worked my way closer to her. She was trying to retrieve one in the back and struggling as she appeared to have use of only one arm. I reached down and handed it to her. The next 15 minutes or so started with the illumination of her joyful face. I can't even type this a year later without getting emotional. She absolutely radiated joy. She was as colorful as any character in a Dr. Seuss book. Lime green and yellow scarf, a multi colored sweater hat, bright coat, bell earrings. She thanked me and told me still smiling that she had lost the use of her arm due to a brain tumor. I asked her if there was anything I could help her look for. She told me that she was looking for the most beautiful cards she could find with a Christian verse about joy. She wanted them to have Gold on them though and not the silver that was so popular last year. I plowed through them as we talked. She told me that she didn't have much money this year, but it was the best Christmas season she has ever had and wanted to find the best cards that she could to give to the special people in her life. She was still positively glowing. She told me that she had found two of the greatest loves of her life that year. Jesus and a man that loved her dearly. She told me she woke up with a smile every single morning. She had been married to a abusive man that didn't love her for years but was devastated when he walked out on her. She had stuck with him and now he was leaving. She said it was at this time she started having headaches. She passed them off as stress for a long time and then her vision was suffering. Test concluded she had a very large tumor on her brain. They performed surgery and she lost some vision in one eye and the use of her left arm. I told her how wonderful it was that they were able to get it out. We continued talking as she told me of her new loves. She said that God knew what she needed in her life and he sent this wonderful man to her. She said she can see the love in his eyes every time he looks at her. By this time, all of the music and colorful sweaters and business of the holiday crowd subsided into the past. I was enamored by her and there wasn't another soul in this busy store. She talked of her kids and then we got to our plans for Christmas. I told her mine and she told me hers. Same exuberance as before, no change in mood or expression. She says "I may be with Jesus, the tumor has returned and is inoperable." My eyes filled with tears and she stopped me and took me, a complete stranger by the shoulders in this store and turned me to her and said. "Don't be upset, I am the happiest I have ever been in my life and I will be happier yet when I am gone." She turned back to the cards and again said that she just wanted to find the best Christmas Cards that she could for those people so dear to her.

We found those cards. They WERE the most beautiful cards. There were 3 boxes. She said she only needed two. I went to put the other box back, couldn't do it. I too had some special people to share with. We hugged, both knowing that we would never see each other again. But, Becca left me with these true gifts of Christmas last year. God's love will sustain. Be happy with what you have. Share yourself with others. Love each other. I adjusted the grocery list for that box of cards. There were two things I told you at the beginning of the story that I couldn't remember this morning. I beat myself up over this all morning. I couldn't remember her name, I couldn't remember the cards! I know
now that it doesn't matter. She is god and the message is his love. Every Christmas since I met Becca that Saturday morning, I have thanked God for that blessing. I don't ever want to forget her spirit, her thankfulness and her joy at Christmas.
I have shared this story for three years now. My heart is full every year when I think of her. This year, I realized that we can do more with the story than share. This beautiful stranger lifted my heart that day with her Christmas Card Blessing. I hope the recipients of those special cards felt the love she was conveying to them through it. There is someone in our very community right now who could use a blessing. If you would like to share a blessing with a neighbor in need. Please drop a card in this box. You can remain anonymous, or not. You can place a monetary gift or not. I don't have much money, but I believe with all my heart that the little blessing that all of us can do will be sufficient for the needs of that person. Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment