Tuesday, November 29, 2011

No More Cucumbers Before Bedtime

Dirt road..divided by two planted fields, both cultivated. Remnants of each crop stand dry and dead. The field on left is corn, field on right, cotton. I am driving down the dirt road on an ATV Gator. I pull into the corn field, killing the engine quickly. About 15 yards in front of me is the biggest buck I have ever seen. His rack is so big that it looks burdensome on his head. I lift the barrel of a 12 gauge shotgun to shoot it. Peering through the sight of my gun, I am almost ready to squeeze off the shot. Something runs between the end of the barrel and the buck. An ominous looking wolf darts back and forth between me and the buck. Not the pretty kind of wolf you see in 1000 piece puzzles. His mouth slightly open and teeth bared he continues to dart back and forth in front of me. The deer is strangely oblivious to both of us. I look into the drink holder of the gator and there are no more shells. I have one shell. One shot. I need to shoot the buck. No one would ever believe how big this thing is, I need to bring it home. But, the wolf seems more interested in me than the buck. What if I shoot the deer and don't have a way to kill the wolf if he attacks. That's it, no ending. The dream replayed

over and over all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment