Monday, April 22, 2013

Old Christ Church..A Not So Gray Day


The light at Longpoint Rd on Hwy 17 in Mt.Pleasant catches me almost every time I travel through. There's only so much you can do at a stop light, so with a snippet of down time, I scan the old Christ Church Parish and it's grounds. For 2 years I've said that one sunny day I am going to pull in to peer into the santuary's old leaded glass windows.
That sunny forecast wouldn't be today. The skies above the stone and mortar church are gloomy. The church looks depressed. The slabs of gray leaning tombstones echo the sentiment.
I try to imagine it as I would a black and white photo from the year it was built in 1727. I mentally erase the stop light, the fence, the power lines and asphalt. Eerily what I imagined was exactly how it looked in a photo I googled later. http://www.christch.org/#/home/our-history  
The light changes and I try to resume speed as a flash of red passed my peripheal. A camelia bush bleeds red into the gray day. I hastily threw on my turn signal while being cursed  (I read his lips) from behind.  As I pulled into the narrow drive, I chastised myself. None of the circumstances are right. It's gloomy, I don't have anything but my sucky phone camera and last but not least... none of life's circumstances this week warrant a graveyard as a pick me up adventure.
Amidst the silence of lived here - died here's, fat squirrels scurry about confidently in their safe zone. I mean really, if you are gonna bury your nuts..a graveyards the place to do it right?
The church yard was oddly absent of faded plastic grave flowers. Then I realized as I noticed the dates on the leaning markers that you would have had to been an exceptionally good fellow or gal for someone to continue placing flowers on your grave two hundred years later.
No flowers..no problem. Nature takes care of it's own. The sacred grounds are void of grass from the expanse of the angel oaks, but gently ablaze with wild flowers.The Dogwoods bloom beneath the oaks and the burning bush that pulled me in with it's brilliant red blossoms stood before me adjacent of the church.The Camellia bush was full and beautiful amidst it's somber backdrop. It's  base however, was carpeted in the befitting  crimson decay of it's older blooms.
I tried to peer into the window of the little church, bumble bee's kept me at bay. I walked around the grounds reverently. I am surprised at how calm I felt here. Is it the quiet?  The lack of visitors?  The absence of all?  I didn't figure it out, and that's ok. Somethings are better as mystery.  For now I conclude Christ Church grounds is asleep, but not soundly..as spring knocks.
Footnote: As Don walked into the door that evening he hands me an old book. A boy he works with has been filling him in on his family's history in Mt.Pleasant (Villeponteaux). My mouth dropped when I read the gold insignia on front of book ~Christ Church Parish Preservation Society~ History of Mount Pleasant. I grabbed my phone and scrolled through the pictures to show Don pictures of the church I had ironically just left. The mystery continues.  I got chills, maybe there's a story from the grave that needs to be told.

No comments:

Post a Comment