Monday, October 15, 2012

Christmas Floorcloth's ~ Order Now~

A new twist to centuries old serviceable art. Floorcloths are quality hand-painted canvas rugs. They originated by early bricoeurs (people who make things out of otherwise useless objects, one description) The first floorcloths originated by these creative souls cutting the sails of ship's that were no longer usable. They primed and painted them and sealed them to use as floor cloths for hard wood or bare dirt floors in the early settlements. Some of these early pieces still exist today in museums and old homes. I believe the earliest one I saw in a magazine was in the home of John and Abigail Adams. Today's floorcloths are not as serviceable as these, but are just as valued and loved as their counterparts as art for their home. These last for decades. I have floorcloths that I created 8 years ago that are in just as good condition today as when they were made. Don't be afraid to walk on them. They are extremely durable. Each of my floorcloths starts with high quality canvas that I prime heavily (at least 5 coats) with quality primers. I then hand-paint the customers requested design onto the floorcloth and prime with 6 coats of quality Sherwin Williams polycrylic. The edged are both glued, sealed and corners mitered. The piece cures for several days and then it is ready to be shipped and enjoyed. Customer's care for floorcloth. Unroll when received. It may take a few days for it to fully unfurl and will become a part of your floor decor shortly after! You may speed it up a bit by placing books on the floorcloth to flatten. It is very easily maintained. Just wipe with a damp cloth to remove spills etc. If it is placed in a high traffic area, you may want to coat it with a polyurethane again in about 5 or 6 years. Otherwise, just enjoy for decades..or more. The creative process, You give me a idea or a design and I am sure I can duplicate it onto canvas. All of the floorcloths photo's in my albums are the end result of someone's design wishes. To view all of my floorcloths on my facebook page, go to https://www.facebook.com/floorcloths

No comments:

Post a Comment