Friday, March 23, 2012

Ebb & Flow~ Renae Brabham


When I couldn't think of anything to write this week, I grabbed a beach chair and notebook and headed to Sullivans Island. I walked down the path while the dew was still on the ground at Station 18. The sun filtered through twisted limbs that hung over the boardwalk, blinking beauty like a strobe light onto the boardwalk. I noticed the contrast between the light and the dark and the sense it gave the journey. When the rays shone through, my focus was up on the last blooms of spring's alarm clock, Yellow Jasmine and the scent of wafting Wisteria. When the rays went away and darkness filled the path, I focused below on my steps, smelling the wet marsh and pungency of wild animal urine. Same pathway, different views. I saw the message the morning was playing out immediately.

 Before my eyes hit the clearing across the dunes, my mind's eye had already etch-a-sketched a empty, quiet beach. I was ticked off. The foggy horizon was obstructed by a huge ocean liner bringing freight into the harbor. I forgave it a few minutes later as it slipped quietly through the sound. Solitude again. Seagulls scuffled out of my way, probably just as ticked at me for imposing on their quiet morning.

I dropped the chair and bag and took off for the shore. I walked for miles, my mind pleasantly empty. The beach chorus drummed out everything. I imagined the surf talking. Whatever it said, it did it repetitively. Maybe it says, Take Away.....Give Back......Take Away.....Give Back. Dolphins spouted and corralled their breakfast. Heron's dive and bring up fish bigger than I catch on my fishing rod. Stranded Jelly Fish struggle to catch the last tide out. I push some gently back into the foam. Some make it, some don't.

 They are always there, the constants of both worlds. I started snapping pics. I took pictures that day of both worlds. Just a little reminder to me that they co-exist. A sand covered Bi-Lo grocery bag, seashells sitting alongside cigarette butts and dog poop, another ocean liner. Constants, truths, parallels of life. Ever noticed laughter at funeral? Absurd? Maybe not. Continuity...

Take Away.....Give Back.......Take Away.......Give Back.......

No comments:

Post a Comment